By Kime Sims
In class today, we had to come up with ideas for what kind of magazine we would like to open. The class has discussed niche magazines like bird watching, to larger publications like Cosmo and National Geographic. In the face of these monoliths, how does one create something unique?
I wanted to share with you the craziness that I created when brainstorming. I released my inhibitions and let my google search history guide me (a new favorite zone to get inspiration). Topics such as the meme magazine and weird jobs were inspired there!
My Craziest Magazine Start-Up Ideas
Although my group decided to create a business plan for young adult fiction books that is for ya readers and writers, I do believe a few of these would have made for some interesting topics.
Let me know if you are inspired and maybe we can team up and open a magazine!
The craziness (mixed with reason) were as follows:
- Culture Magazine- following the different cultures and holidays of the world
- Conversation Starter Magazine- because who doesn’t need this?
- Where’d That Meme Magazine- a study of meme culture and history
- Pitch Me Your Resume Magazine- people pitch themselves in a magazine for employers to read…weird right?
- Weird Jobs You Didn’t Know Existed Mag- for anyone who is ever stuck in a rut and wants to change professions!
- Murder Mystery Magazine- could be real or fake murder mysteries that are revealed in stages each week… I would read this…
- Internships to You Magazine- Internships from all over… this is a little big but could be simpler, and maybe add college application help
- No Degree Needed Magazine- for people who go into trade skilled fields and are looking for trade schools and resources
- Math Two Texas Magazine- the most oddly specific, but could have a real audience
- Cash for Kids or Mini-Money Makers Magazine- the investment magazine for children
- Tutors Talk Magazine- tutoring resources, news, articles, etc.
- Work From Home Magazine- how to stay sane wfh, where to find jobs, etc.
- Bread Magazine- I loved this idea, but sadly it already exists. It is nice to not be alone in your love of warm carbohydrates
- Non-Profits for Profiting Change Magazine- help non-profits run smoothly, get volunteers, be organized, etc.
- GradLife Strife Magazine- lifestyle magazine for grad students, looking to go into grad school and surviving it
- Beer and Beards Magazine- I think this one is self-explanatory. What is better than men with beards sharing, discussing, and exposéing yummy beers
- Tech for Grandparents Magazine- you guessed it, sharing new tech (and explaining old tech) to grandparents in an easy to understand way!
- Myers Briggs Me Right Magazine- articles and new like horoscopes but based on your Myers Briggs types “Why INFJ’s and ENFP’s might take over the world…”
- Plaid is Rad Magazine- to support all patters in their various sizes and shapes. Essentially, a fashion magazine that only focuses on patterns.
Well, that is my list. I’m all ears if you have any favorites, were inspired by a topic, or think that one of these should DEFINITELY become a magazine!
Until next time,
Fun Magazine Start-Up Ideas- Try to Beat My Crazy!